What is an Axiom?
An Axiom is a statement or proposition that is regarded as being established, accepted, or self-evidently true.
Axioms – True than Life itself
- Any task, no matter how complex, can be estimated accurately, once it is completed.
- The most valuable, and least used, word in a project manager’s vocabulary is “No”.
- Nothing is impossible for the person who does not have to do it.
- You can bully a project manager into committing to an impossible project completion date, but you cannot bully him into meeting it.
- Too few people on a project cannot solve the problems – too many create more problems than they solve.
- A change freeze is like the abominable snowman: it is a myth and would anyway melt when heat is applied.
- A user will tell you anything you ask about, but nothing more.
- A user is somebody who tells you what they really want the day you give them what they first asked for.
- The conditions attached to a promise are forgotten, only the promise is remembered.
- There is never enough time to do it right first time, but there is always enough time to go back and do it again.
- I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- The sooner you rush into coding, the later you finish the project.
- If project scope is allowed to change freely, the rate of change will exceed the rate of progress.
- Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.
- The person who says it will take the longest and cost the most is the only one with a clue how to do the job.
- The bitterness of poor product quality lingers long after the celebration of meeting the project date is forgotten.
- A verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on.
- What has not been put on paper has not been said.
- If you fail to plan the project, you are planning to fail the project.
- The more you plan the project, the luckier you get.
- If you can keep your head while all about you are losing theirs, you have not understood the project plan.
- If you do not attack the project risks, the project risks will attack you.
- A little bit of project risk, management saves a lot of fan cleaning.
- The sooner you fall behind the project schedule; the more time you have to make it up.
- And when all’s said and done, a lot more was said then was done!